I have made these Pork Carnitas Tacos several times. And let me just tell you how great your house will smell while cooking that meat in the crock pot all day! It’s probably how Heaven will smell. Unless you don’t like meat, than I’m sure it will smell like cookies! If you live near a Trader Joes I recommend getting their corn and wheat tortillas. They are my favorite with these tacos. If you don’t live near a Trader Joes you can find some other corn and wheat tortillas at your local grocery store. And I am sure Whole Foods has some good options. This is such a simple meal to put together. You can add any toppings you like, I only add avocado, cilantro and lime juice, and I love it! (I would add the tomatillo salsa, but I don’t live near a Trader Joes anymore) And don’t forget to dip your tortilla in a little hot oil for a few seconds and wipe it off with a paper towel.
Pork Carnitas Tacos
Adapted From: 100 Days of Real Food
Serves: 8 – 10
- 2 to 2 ½ lbs pork shoulder or Boston butt roast, cut into 5 or 6 small pieces
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 onion, cut into 6 or 8 chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 recipe tomatillo salsa (use this recipe or can be purchased at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 package corn and wheat tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Mix together oregano, pepper, salt, and cumin and rub on outside of pork pieces in bottom of slow cooker.
- Throw onion and garlic on top of pork.
- Slow cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or until meat is falling apart.
- When finished discard the onion and garlic. Drain meat and shred with a fork.
- Serve warm with tortillas (make sure to cook them in a little olive oil for just a few seconds), tomatillo salsa, avocados and cilantro.