Ok, let me just say I wouldn’t call this necessarily “healthy,” but it’s really not unhealthy… in moderation. I kind of forgot the moderation part when I made this tonight:)
I feel so much better giving my kids this kind of ice cream compared to the cartons. Most of the time I just make vanilla ice cream or strawberry ice cream (which I’ll post next time I make it), but this is my favorite one! Since my husband was gone backpacking for the weekend, I treated us girls to a special dessert, followed by a Tinker bell movie of course! I topped it off with some homemade whip cream (1/2 cup whipping cream, 1 teaspoon maple syrup whipped togther) And don’t worry it doesn’t have to be this melted! By the time I dished up the little people. mine looked like this. Life of a mom…
- ¾ cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ cup whole milk (I still can’t make the switch to whole milk, so I use Skim and it’s still delicious, so I can’t imagine if I used Whole!)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Using a frying pan, melt the butter on medium-low heat and then add the chopped pecans. Add the honey and cook until the nuts are very slightly browned, 3 – 5 minutes. Be very careful not to overcook the nuts because they can go from perfect to burnt in less than a minute.
- While the nuts are cooking stir together all three ingredients for the ice cream. Turn on your ice cream maker and then pour the milk mixture into the machine.
- When the ice cream is almost all the way thickened add the nuts…serve immediately and enjoy!