If you are looking for a meatless meal, this is a good one. First of all let me say if you want to make this meal super easy, forget about spicing up the black beans and just heat them up plain. If you’re not a quinoa fan, just use brown rice. I especially like this meal, because it’s simple ingredients that my kids eat, and it has lots of fiber and protein. I know Jena makes a similar burrito bowl with pulled pork, which I think she’ll post soon. Right Jena?;)
Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion (use a fresh onion, so much more flavor!)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (use fresh garlic)
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (mild)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (spicy)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
Optional Topping Ingredients
- Grated cheddar or jack cheese- I get some good quality cheese and Trader Joe’s
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Pico de gallo or salsa (there’s a good salsa from Trader Joe’s called Tomatillo and Green Chili Salsa, but I just use pico de gallo usually)
- Diced seeded tomatoes
- Hot sauce
- Sliced avocado
- Servings: 4
Pour quinoa into a saucepan along with 2 cups of water. Bring the quinoa to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover the pot. Let the quinoa simmer for about 20 minutes till it becomes tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Keep a close eye to make sure the quinoa doesn’t burn.
While quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of oil in another saucepan over medium heat. Pour minced onion into the saucepan and saute for a few minutes till it softens and begins to turn brown. Add the minced garlic to the pot and let it saute for 1-2 minutes longer till aromatic.
Add the black beans to the pot of onions along with 1/2 cup water, 2 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Bring the beans to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Let the beans simmer for 15 minutes till the liquid is mostly evaporated. Stir in 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
When the quinoa is fully cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Use the fork to mix in 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro and 2 tbsp fresh lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
Assemble bowl with quinoa, chopped lettuce, black beans, corn, and the rest of your desired toppings!