My oldest started kindergarten this week and I wanted to make him a special treat for when he got home. He is crazy about anything with chocolate chips so I wanted to try this homemade version of a cookie cake. Yes, it has quite a bit of sugar in it but I feel better knowing the ingredients that are in it as opposed to the store bought version. If I was a fun mom, I would have done some colored frosting but I do try to avoid food dyes as much as possible. Anyway, he was so excited when he saw this waiting for him and he even shared some with the rest of us!
Taken from weelicious.com
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large eggs, whisked
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a standing mixer (or in a bowl using a hand mixer) for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix for 1 minute.
4. Combine the white flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and slowly incorporate into the butter and egg mixture.
5. Mix until combined then pour in the chocolate chips and stir.
6. Press the dough into a greased heart shaped pie pan.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.