If you are looking for the yummiest fall soup, you have found it! I got this recipe from my friend Lauren over at tastesbetterfromscratch.com. She is such an amazing cook, so of course this did not disappoint! I think my husband said, “oh wow” like five times while he was eating it. I also love that it makes plenty for left overs. It’s so nice to look forward to having left overs!
Recipe from: tastesbetterfromscratch.com
- 3 cups peeled, chopped, butternut squash (about 1 small squash, cut into 1/2” cubes)
- 3 cups peeled, chopped, sweet potatoes (about 1 -2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2” cubes)
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp whole fennel seed
- 1 1/2 tsp whole cumin seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the squash and sweet potatoes and chop into half-inch cubes.
- Use either a large stock pot or pan to sauté the onion over medium-high heat until translucent; set aside in a medium size bowl.
- Add the sausage to the pot and brown. Drain well and put in the bowl with the onion.
- Put the squash, sweet potatoes chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste in the large stock pot. Cook for approximately 7-10 min. on high or until squash and sweet potatoes are slightly firm on the outside but tender in the middle. You don’t want to overcook them or they will be mushy, so test them every couple minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add garbanzo beans, fennel, cumin and salt and pepper.