I have decided to keep Christmas dinner simple this year. But, I still wanted to have something delicious for everyone to eat. This white chicken chili with cilantro and lime is easy to prepare and tastes delicious! I can prep the day before and toss everything together a couple of hours before we are ready to eat. Along with some yummy appetizers like these sweet potato rounds and, of course, dessert I think everyone will be happy! This would also be a great dish to serve if you have family coming in town around the holidays. Have this crowd pleasing meal simmering on the stove when they arrive and watch it disappear!
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1&1/2 to 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 3 cups+ chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine like Chardonnay (optional)
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3 cans white beans of your choice, drained
- 3 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 3 cups fresh grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 3 Tbl cilantro, finely chopped (plus more for topping)
- 3 Tbl fresh squeezed lime juice
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven (around 5-6qts). Add onion and saute over medium heat until they're softened and lightly browned.
- Add garlic oregano, cumin, and ginger, cooking for one more minute. Stir continuously so the garlic doesn't burn!
- Add stock, wine (if using) and bay leaf. Cook uncovered over medium heat until somewhat reduced (5-6 minutes).
- Add chicken, beans, and jalapenos. Simmer uncovered for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Over low heat add a little cheese at a time, stirring until melted.
- Add pepper, and taste for salt; add if needed.
- Stir in fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve!
- Garnish with fresh chopped tomatoes, green onion, shredded cheese, sour cream, or sliced avocado.
shortcuts if you must-
Use storebought chicken stock in place of homemade stock.
Use rings of jarred jalapenos instead of chopped fresh.
Use jarred chopped garlic instead of fresh chopped.
Use deli rotisserie chicken instead of made-at-home chicken.
-begging you please-
Use fresh squeezed lime juice and not bottled lime juice.
Grate fresh Monterey Jack cheese and do not get a bag of pre-shredded.
You might also like: