These Santa Fe turkey stuffed peppers are great for a quick and easy weeknight meal and they taste delicious too! I had these prepped and ready to go during nap time, stored them covered in the fridge and then popped them in the oven at dinner time. I like to add less cheese to mine and top with avocado. Everyone else prefers more cheese, please!
- For the filling:
- 1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 jalepeno pepper, chopped (more or less to taste)
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp cumin
- kosher salt to taste
- For the peppers:
- 3 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 9 tbsp shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions, for garnish
- In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt. When the turkey is browned, add onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, jalepeno pepper, diced tomatoes, and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, add corn and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem.
- Place peppers, cut side up in an oven-proof dish. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture. Pour about 1/3 cup water or chicken broth on the bottom of the dish. Cover tight with foil. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
- Remove foil, top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of cheese and bake uncovered an additional 5 minutes.
You might also like: