This slow cooker chicken and rice casserole is the perfect dish to come home to on a chilly day. With just a few healthy ingredients this is a great option for a busy weeknight meal. My oldest son has an after school activity on Wednesdays. So, unless I have a slow cooker meal waiting for us when we get home, we have to eat leftovers or grab some carry out. I think you will find that this dish is one that the whole family will love. It is the perfect comfort dish without all of the processed ingredients as well as quick and easy to prepare.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into chunks of about 1-inch
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa ( I used frozen brown rice found at Whole Foods)
- 1 cup (thawed) peas
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In the slow cooker, add the chicken, olive oil, carrots, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4, or until chicken is done and carrots tender.
- When cooked, add pre-cooked rice, peas, and parmesan. Stir to combine and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
You may also like: