There was a time when I got burnt out on quinoa but this variation of quinoa with mushrooms and arugula brought me back. I find it to be satisfying enough for a meatless meal (and vegan) but would also be perfect alongside any protein. Make sure and save any leftover quinoa for breakfast the next morning. My favorite combination is 3/4 cups quinoa, 1/2 unsweetened vanilla almond milk, shredded unsweetened coconut, banana slices, sliced almonds and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- Coarse sea salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 large handfuls of arugula, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over high heat. Add the garlic and thyme to the pan and cook until they just begin to get fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan along with a big pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have softened and browned and begin to make a squeaking sounds (it's true, keep your ears open!) Transfer the mushroom mixture to a large mixing bowl along with the quinoa and arugula and stir to combine. Season to taste with a bit more salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
From: It’s All Good by Gwyneth Paltrow
You may also like: