I am always looking for new ideas for healthier after school snacks and treats for my kids. These banana chocolate chip granola bars were approved by both of my boys and I enjoyed them myself as well. They really are so quick and easy to make. I decided last minute to make a second batch to share with my mom’s group and I had them ready to go in about 45 minutes. The ripe bananas along with the honey give just the right amount of sweetness. And, my kids are on board eating anything with chocolate chips! It is totally worth the time to make these banana chocolate chip granola bars to avoid all of the yucky ingredients the store bought versions contain.
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter (could use coconut oil)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9×13-inch baking dish (could use cooking spray)
- Stir the oats, white whole wheat flour, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Place the butter in a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup or bowl. Heat in the microwave until melted. Whisk in the honey, mashed banana, and vanilla. Whisk in the egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and stir until well combined. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Lay a piece of parchment on top (to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands) and firmly press the mixture down into the pan; remove and discard the piece of parchment.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 32-35 minutes, until set and lightly golden. Let cool completely and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars.
- Store granola bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
You might also like: