Three of my good friends and I ran a marathon relay this weekend and it was such a great time! After the race we went to grab some lunch (that’s the fun part right?!) and we split this amazing granola bar that was more like the texture of a blondie. So, of course I thought about that sweet treat all week. There were actually multiple group texts discussing how good it was and how it could be recreated. So, I decided to make a healthier version from amindfulmom.com without refined sugars and using whole wheat flour. I made these for an after school treat and my taste testers were eager to try them. I thought they might call me out on using dark chocolate instead of the semi sweet version but there were no complaints! I would have loved to add some walnuts to these but my oldest son has a nut allergy. You could also add any type of dried fruit you have on hand. Either way these were delicious and a hit with the whole family.
- 1½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips *I like Enjoy Life brand
- Optional: chopped walnuts, dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 8x8 pan with real buttter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix melted butter, yogurt, egg,honey, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips (and nuts, dried fruit).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes, before eating.
I love when my little ones join me in the kitchen! This recipe was quick and easy and my 3 year old was happy to help. I think they are even more excited to try things when they participate in the making of it. And, look at those sweet little hands!
Recipe adapted from: amindfullmom.com
You might also like: