Are you prepared for barbecue and potluck season? Blow your guests away with this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie! It is not too sweet, perfectly fresh, and easy to make! Rhubarb and strawberry compliment each other perfectly. Rhubarb is a plant with fresh raw leaf stalks that are crisp (similar to celery) with a strong, tart taste. That paired with sweet strawberries is a great combo. If you have not had rhubarb before this is a great place to start!
I have been eating Strawberry Rhubarb Pie since I was a kid. It was one of my dads favorites and I remember picking it from my uncles garden. Now it is one of my husbands favorite desserts too. He doesn’t love desserts that are too sweet and the tartness of the rhubarb cuts through sweetness of the strawberries. Since this pie is a favorite of many in my life I was excited to try and make it with all ‘real food’ ingredients and no refined sugars. Turns out it was really easy! I combined a few different recipes to get this recipe and I think it turned out great! Sweet, tart and crunchy all in one bite! And I highly recommend pairing it with a little ice cream (Here is a great homemade ice cream recipe)!
You May Also Like:
- Pie Crust
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted butter, preferably unsalted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Strawberry/Rhubarb Filling
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 stalks of rhubarb cut in half length wise and then diced
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, quartered
- Crumb Topping
- 3/4 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all the pie crust ingredients in a glass pie pan with a fork. When mixed shape the pie crust with your fingers/hands until the pie pan is evenly covered. (You can make the crust look fancy with a fork if you desire).
- Cut/dice the rhubarb and strawberries. In a medium bowl mix together all the ingredients for the filling. Pour the filling mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- In another bowl prepare the crumb topping by mixing all ingredients. Sprinkle it over the rhubarb filling Place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes