I love the idea of cookies for breakfast! And so do my kids! This Nuts and Berries Breakfast Cookie is another spin on one of our original favorites, the Peanut Butter Oat Bars. These cookies could easily be formed into bars instead of cookies! I really like the idea of eating a cookie for breakfast though!
My favorite thing about these Nut and Berry Breakfast Cookies are the nuts and berries. They give the cookie tons of flavor and are packed with nutritional value. My six year old has to be to school at 7:30! Some mornings we roll out of bed with just enough time to put our clothes on (and brush our teeth of course)! I love to have these on hand for those mornings! They can be eaten in the car, they fill him up, and I am satisfied that he got something nutritious in him to start his day! And we also eat them for snack…and lunch…a batch of these don’t last very long in our house!
You may also like:
- 4 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup honey
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1-2 T unsweetened coconut flakes
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, cinnamon and pinch of salt.
- Melt the peanut butter and honey together in a large microwave safe bowl. I start with a minute, check it and then add 30 seconds each time, if needed. You can also melt these two ingredients over the stove top.
- Combine the peanut butter and honey mix with the dry ingredients. Then add the berries, nuts, and coconut flakes.
- Then add the chocolate chips. If you add them right away they will melt a little. If you let the mixture cool a but the chocolate chips will stay whole (I prefer this way!)
- Form chunks of mixture into a small ball (about golf ball size) and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I like to leave mine over night.
Original Recipe From: thebigmansworld.com