Lasagna is one of my favorite meals. Since I’ve been on a real zucchini kick lately, I decided to make Zucchini Lasagna! It’s not the prettiest dish to take pictures of but rest assured, it was delicious, and my kids didn’t think twice about the zucchini. My dad makes the best lasagna, so I used a couple of his secret ingredients. Most lasagnas seem to be made with Ricotta Cheese, but this is made with Cottage Cheese. I actually never eat cottage cheese, but for this it’s perfect! Another secret ingredient is Italian Sausage. Italian Sausage gives the best flavor to any dish, especially this one! I used ground turkey instead of ground beef to mix in. Say what you will about sausage, but once in a while I feel ok about it! And it is so worth the flavor!
Lasagna always seems like a winter dish to me, but adding the zucchini made it seem appropriate for summer! But I’ll be honest, I will eat lasagna any time of the year!
You Might Also Like:
- 4 large zucchinis
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- *optional- onion, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped basil, plus more for garnish
- 16-24 oz grated mozzarella cheese
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- grated parmesan cheese (just enough to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice Zucchini into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Lightly coat two baking sheets with olive oil, place zucchini on baking sheets, lightly salt (this helps remove the moisture)
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes to dry out the zucchini.
- While the zucchini is roasting, brown sausage and turkey in a large skillet.
- Drain to remove the fat.
- Add garlic to the pan (and onion, if adding) and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the meat back to the skillet.
- Add tomatoes and basil.
- Cover and simmer on low for at least 30 minutes, so it thickens.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 11 baking dish.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with half of the noodles.
- Layer half of the meat sauce on top of the noodles.
- Spread half of the cottage cheese on top of the meat sauce.
- Spread half of the mozzarella cheese on top of the cottage cheese.
- Repeat those steps one more time.
- Top with parmesan cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Broil for only a minute or two, I let mine go a little too long as you can see! But it makes the cheese on top a little crispier.
- Garnish with Basil.