I am headed on vacation and I wanted to bring some sort of salad so that I wouldn’t have to eat fast food on our way, and while we are there it will be nice to already have something made. This Asparagus, Tomato, Walnut Salad is perfect. I really wanted to bring a salad but I didn’t want to bring lettuce that would wilt if premixed and I wanted to just throw it all together in a container. I did however leave some feta out, and will add it in when I am ready to eat. I really want to bring Jamie’s Mexican Grilled Corn Salad because I am IN LOVE with it! Thank goodness for coolers! They have saved me on road trips. Road trips and vacations can be HARD! It’s so easy to stop and get fast food, or snack the whole time while driving, or eat random things that you normally would never eat! I am determined to not let that happen. I told my husband that, and he said, “but that’s what makes road trips so fun!” But as we were thinking about it, it’s mostly just fun to stop somewhere new and do something different. Our kids wouldn’t even think twice if I packed their lunch and we stopped at a park or an open field. Kids just want to have fun! My oldest daughter is obsessed with tomatoes, and would be perfectly happy snacking on these all day. Why would I even offer french fries?
Enough about french fries, let’s talk about this salad! It’s kind of a spin off from my Apple Walnut Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette. I didn’t add apples, because they would obviously not do to well for very long, and I replaced the lettuce with asparagus. I used the same dressing and still added feta of course! I also think avocado would go perfect with this. I packed one and might just have to put it in. Avocado is like the cherry on top!
You might also like:
- 2 bundles of asparagus, cut the hard part off, then cut into thirds (try to get medium thickness)
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (I just put them on a skillet for a couple of minutes, and remove once fragrant)
- 1 cup feta cheese (or however much you prefer)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 1/4 scant tsp ground mustard
- 1 T lemon juice
- Boil asparagus for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain. Place asparagus in ice cold water for a few seconds, drain and place in a large bowl.
- Toast the walnuts, add to bowl.
- Add halved tomatoes to bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and drizzle over salad. Add half of the feta in, and top each plate with remaining feta.
You could add chicken or avocado to make it more filling!