I know I posted a muffin recipe last week, but I needed to post these Healthy Strawberry Banana “Cupcakes” asap! The word cupcakes is in parenthesis because they are actually muffins disguised as cupcakes. And let me tell you they are delicious! I used the Banana Wheat Germ Muffins and topped them with a SUPER easy cream cheese frosting and fresh fruit. You definitely won’t even feel like you’re missing out on a regular cupcake! I made these for my twins preschool class to celebrate their birthday. The best part was they were so full afterwards that I barely had to feed them lunch! These are wholesome, filling and you don’t have to feel guilty or have a stomach ache afterwards! Be careful though, this frosting is so good! I saw my husband put it on his toast, and I think he licked the bowl clean. It is definitely going to be my go-to frosting now!
I named them Strawberry Banana Cupcakes because there is banana in the cupcake and strawberries on top. But you could definitely put all sorts of different fruit on top! I think raspberries, blackberries or peaches would be delicious too!
You might also like:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can use regular whole wheat flour too, I prefer pastry flour. It is found at any health food store, such as Sprouts or Whole Foods)
- 1 cup wheat germ (this is also found at any health food store, but is also carried in many grocery stores)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (could use honey)
- 3 tablespoons butter, coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- Fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, raspberries, etc...
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (yes, I consider cream cheese a real food, therefore not unhealthy in moderation!)
- 1/2 honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a bowl.
- With a mixer combine the 3 bananas, syrup, butter or oil, vanilla and egg. Beat until combined and bananas are mashed.
- Gently mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Grease or line muffin cups or mini loaf pans and fill 3/4 full with the mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes for mini muffin cups, 20 for regular muffin cups or 25 minutes for mini loaf pans or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Using a hand held mixer, mix the cream cheese, honey and vanilla until smooth.
- I like to put the frosting in a ziplock bag and cut the corner to decorate the cupcake a little more.
- Top with fresh fruit!