You might be wondering why I am sharing another breakfast post, not to mention another peanut butter recipe two weeks in a row. Well…. because we love breakfast and we love peanut butter, so why not share the love? Also, because it requires a lot of the same ingredients as the Peanut Butter Granola, and it’ nice to have a few different options throughout the week. As I was looking at these pictures, I realized that oatmeal isn’t the prettiest thing to photograph. It’s beautiful to me because I know how it tastes. But I understand those who are just staring at a bowl of mush. If you’ve never been an oatmeal fan, but you like peanut butter and bananas, I suggest you give this a try! It’s filling, cheap, will warm you up on a cold day, and is flowing with peanut butter goodness.
When we have a busy night, I usually schedule a breakfast dinner and oatmeal has become one of my staples on those nights. Oatmeal is just so great. You can do so many things with it, it’s also healthy, and you know that you and your family are getting a filling and nutritious meal, especially when you can have various healthy add-ins. I love to throw in chia seeds, flax seeds, nuts, fruit and cinnamon.
You might also like:
- 1 3/4 cups milk, or water (I prefer milk for this one)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 2-3 tablespoons peanut butter (I use all natural peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 to 3 teaspoons maple syrup, optional (could substitute honey)
- Sliced bananas, chopped nuts, and cinnamon for toppings
- Bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Stir in oats, reduce heat, cover and simmer for a couple of minutes depending on how thick you like it and what kind of oats you are using. Stir occasionally. After desired consistency, add the remaining ingredients, and top with sliced banana, chopped nuts, and a dash of cinnamon. I also put a little extra dollop of peanut butter in my peanut butter loving daughter's bowl.