Ah, I remember the days when I would order take out from my favorite Chinese Restaurant, and I loved every second of it… That is until I felt so sick the rest of the night, and the next morning! I would vow never to eat it again! You know, until a few days pass and you kind of forget, like when you forget what pregnancy and birth is like? Speaking of pregnancy I also remember when I was pregnant with my first, I thought I was seriously craving Chinese food, and then after we ordered it I couldn’t even be in the same room as it! I’m crazy when I’m pregnant though! So many memories with Chinese take out….
Anyway…. this Chicken Teriyaki with Zucchini Noodles might seem more like a summer dish, but that’s ok, you can have it whenever you want! AND you won’t even feel sick or guilty after eating it! Ever since I was introduced to zucchini noodles, I have been obsessed with them. It just makes me so happy to eat an entire zucchini that doesn’t have to be cooked with oil, butter or salt! I will replace regular noodles with these whenever possible. My girls still aren’t convinced, so sometimes I still make whole wheat noodles or rice so they can choose. Maybe someday they will understand how awesome zoodles really are! Until then, they will continue to enjoy watching me spiral my veggies, and how magical the process is!
I love teriyaki sauce, but I can never buy it because it usually has a million ingredients including a lot of sugar. Lately I have been wanting some Asian dishes in my life so I decided to create a dish where I could easily incorporate my zoodles, get lots of veggies in and feel good about the sauce everything’s cooked in.
I cooked the chicken in a skillet, but if you prefer grilling your chicken go for it!
You might also like:
- 3 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- pineapple, cubed
- broccoli, fresh or frozen
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- *optional, snow peas, peppers, mushrooms, green onions and sesame seeds for garnish
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup Tamari Sauce (low sodium) or soy sauce (low sodium)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Whisk sauce ingredients together, and cover chicken with 2-3 tablespoons of sauce and marinate for at least thirty minutes in fridge. I prefer having the chicken cut beforehand so that the marinade gets into the chicken and makes it really flavorful. Also if your chicken is super thick, pound it down, or cut it horizontally.
- Drizzle oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook chicken, turning once browned.
- Add pineapple, broccoli, and any other veggies before the chicken is cooked all the way.
- Add sauce, and let it cook until thickened.
- After zucchinis are spiralized, microwave for 1-2 minutes. (if you prefer cooking them another way, go for it, this is just the fastest and easiest for me)
- Lay zucchini noodles on paper towel and pat with more paper towel on top to release as much water as possible.
- Add zoodles to skillet to coat in sauce.
- Drizzle remaining sauce from the skillet over each dish.
- Top with sesame seeds and green onion.