I knew immediately that these Crispy Veggie and Bean Burritos were blog worthy. I have been very excited to share this recipe with you. I have been trying to eat a little less meat, and I definitely didn’t even miss it in this burrito! So don’t be scared to have a burrito with out any meat! I promise, your meat lovers will still love this!
Pretty much every time I make a burrito I make it crispy, it just brings it to a whole new level. Plus, we use whole wheat tortillas, and when you cook them this way, you can’t taste the whole wheat as much (if you have a hard time with that).
I wasn’t sure if my girls would go for it if they knew it had onions, jalapeno and bell peppers. I was surprised to see them gobble them up! It helped that the cilantro lime dip is delicious, so I think with the melted cheese and the dip they were blissfuly unaware of any veggies lurking inside.
You can put several different veggies in these and they will still taste great. Kind of like my Veggie Quesadillas. Whatever you do, just have this dip ready to go! All you need is sour cream, lime juice and cilantro. Doesn’t that sound kind of perfect together? Yep, it is.
I also think these would be delicious with rice, avocado, corn or tomatoes. These are pretty customizable. So, go ahead and get a meatless meal in this week with these bad boys!
You might also like:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno, minced (use half if you want less spice)
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cupsh Monterey Jack cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- juice of one lime
- In a large pan, saute the onion until brown and soft.
- Add the pepper and jalapeno, and cook for a few more minutes until soft.
- Mix in the beans, garlic and spices and heat through.
- Meanwhile make the dip.
- Mix the sour cream, cilantro and lime juice.
- Grease another pan with cooking spray, butter or olive oil.
- Fill each tortilla with filling and topped with cheese.
- Roll up and put in pan.
- Flip over once it is golden brown and crispy, and continue to do the same on the other side.
- Enjoy warm with the cilantro lime dip.
Recipe adapted from 100 Days of Real Food Fast and Fabulous