I’ve decided that salads are the best. Yep, you just can’t beat it. I remember growing up (sorry mom) dreading our salad at dinner each night because it was just lettuce, broccoli, carrots and low fat ranch. Little did I know that you could throw just about everything but the kitchen sink in a salad, and also make some tasty dressings. There are no rules. It’s fun to get creative. My girls love salads too, which makes me extra happy. They all like different things, so I basically get a bunch of toppings out and let them choose so they can create the salad they want. They get a little more daring each time.
I came up with this salad because I was wanting to make these Honey Mustard Chicken Tacos, but I needed to use up some lettuce so I basically made the tacos into a salad. I added a few more of my favorite salad toppings. After I made this we wanted it for lunch for the rest of the week. I love to meal prep, so I just hard boil a bunch of eggs for the week, and have some chicken that is grilled and ready to go. And you can make this dressing a head of time as well. My husband is a huge fan of honey mustard so this is his favorite. And good news, the dressing is super easy to make. Really though, not like when people say it’s easy and it’s actually not at all. I promise you, you will not be disappointed.
- 2 cups lettuce (The spring mix is my favorite)
- 1 hard boiled egg, sliced
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- handful of cabbage, sliced
- 1/4 cup corn (I buy frozen)
- 1/2 a chicken breast, sliced
- handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon mayo (Yes, mayo. I use Spectrum, made with olive oil)
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- dash of ground ginger
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill.
- Whisk dressing ingredients until combined.
- Add salad ingredients to a bowl and drizzle dressing on top.